The 40 Benefits of Steam Bathing
Steam has been used throughout history for a broad range of tasks. Whether it’s to power machines, cook food or clean surfaces, we have discovered powerful benefits of using steam in our everyday life.
For many cultures, steaming has been embraced as a social ritual to relax and connect with others. But people quickly realized that the potential benefits of steam bathing extend beyond rest and relaxation. In fact, it may provide wellness benefits in a number of ways, including promoting improved circulation, decreased stress and clearer skin, and many others.
And thanks to modern technology, you can now experience the benefits of steam bathing without visiting a spa or gym. Residential steam showers, like the state-of-the-art steam shower systems manufactured by MrSteam, give you a spa-like experience in the comfort of your home.
40 Benefits of Steam Bathing
We’ve listed 40 benefits associated with steam bathing below to help you identify specific ways it can help improve your health.
- Promotes optimal breathing, and opens up nasal passages.
- Hot mist may help promote sinus drainage.
- May provide temporary relief of respiratory symptoms.
- Hot mist may help loosen bronchial secretions.
- Hot mist soothes the throat.
- May act as a natural expectorant.
- Cleanses the skin.
- Helps enhance skin appearance.
- Opens up pores.
- Lubricates the skin.
- Hydrates dry skin.
- Leaves skin with a healthy glow.
- Makes shaving easier.
- Prepares the hair follicles for easier waxing.
- Promotes an increase in blood circulation.
- May boost metabolism.
- May help to reinvigorate tired muscles.
- Supports lactic acid breakdown in over worked muscles.
- Loosens stiff muscles, promotes muscular flexibility (great for stretching).
- On average, has been shown to burn 150 calories in a 15-minute session at 114°F.
- Helps relieve stress.
- Encourages relaxation.
- May help promote deep, restful sleep.
- Fosters a sense of well-being.
- Increase potential for natural sleep patterns.
- Combining steam and AromaTherapy® (Lavender) may promote soothing relief from stress and tension.
- Combining steam and MusicTherapy® may help reduce stress.
- Combining Steam and ChromaTherapy® may help enhance your mood elevation.
- Supports the removal of toxins from the body.
- Has been shown to help the body rid itself of excess sodium.
- Prepares the body for relief from temporary joint pain and discomfort.
- Has been shown to promote the reduction of metabolic waste products in the body.
- Uses less than 2 gallons of water for a 20 minute steam bath.
- Costs cents to operate.
- May increase equity of the home.
- Saves energy by following steam shower with a cold shower.
- Can simply be added to an existing shower. Does not require a dedicated area or room.
- Great way to de-wrinkle clothes.
- Provides humidity for your orchids.
The list isn’t exhaustive, but it gives you a good idea of how steam bathing can potentially have a positive effect on your health and wellness. If you’re an at-home steamer, we’d love to hear from you. What would you add to this list??
Note: This article was originally published in 2015 and has been updated to reflect new research and findings.