Time to Remodel Your Bathroom? Include a Steam Shower in Your Plans
Are you one of the thousands of homeowners who are embarking on a bathroom remodeling plan? Perhaps you’ve discovered that your plans to downsize are not as economical as you thought they’d be, so you’re sitting tight now that the kids are on their own. Or that other homes in your neighborhood have undergone renovation, so your home will be worth more if you, too, consider some improvements. Or perhaps you simply love your current home and just want to enhance your quality of life.
Adding a Steam Shower is an Affordable Luxury
Whatever the reason, adding a steam shower to your existing bathroom is an extremely affordable luxury. Imagine coming home at the end of an exhausting day and being able to unwind in the comfort of your own home. There is absolutely nothing like the feeling of being totally relaxed and revitalized by your own home spa. And you can rest assured that it will add considerably to the value of your property when you do, eventually, decide to sell.
MrSteam has always stressed the focus on health and wellness for homeowners and the multitude of benefits that come from steam. You don’t even need to have an enormous bathroom to enjoy this luxury – as MrSteam's Steam@Home offers an affordable option for homes ranging from entry-level to multi-family units. Sized to fit 3’x4’ or 3’x5’ spaces, Steam@Home generators are 20 percent more compact than regular MrSteam generators.
If you do have the room, of course, you might opt for a more spacious arrangement.
Confused how to begin? MrSteam’s Virtual Spa walks you through the process of selecting the right-sized generators and appropriate controls, and helps you decide on Steamtherapy add-ons to help you treat yourself to healthful indulgences such as AromaTherapy, the ability to stream music via MusicTherapy, and ChromaTherapy lighting.
Hire a Professional to Create the Perfect Home Spa
We do, of course, recommend that you employ a professional to help you create the perfect home spa – and both This Old House and Houzz echo our recommendation. Working with an expert to make this vision a reality means that you will properly prepare the space for steam, which is more invasive than water. As Houzz says on the subject:
“There is much more to the equation than simply adding a steam generator and control pad. Building a steam shower requires a new and complete system — from the drain to the ceilings to the type of tile chosen — that works and performs as one.”
They also cite the need to know your local building codes – and while some cities don’t require them, this means that you need to rely on a skilled shower builder to make sure your steam shower is constructed properly, giving you years of operation in healthful conditions.
Work with an Authorized MrSteam Dealer
This Old House speaks of the need for a dealer to work with you on the process of selecting the right MrSteam products, and of course, we offer the most comprehensive dealer network in the world. You can find a MrSteam dealer through our exclusive dealer locator. This locator will point you in the direction of authorized showrooms, which provide the expertise not only to help you in your choices, let you know the names of professional and licensed plumbers, electricians, and contractors familiar with building for steam, but also render outstanding customer service before, during, and after your purchase.
You can also select and buy MrSteam products online, but we strongly recommend dealing only with authorized e-tailers to do so. Again, the individuals behind these internet retailers are highly qualified and their customer services are well-tested. You’ll know them by the MrSteam “Authorized Internet Retailer” logo which appears on their websites.
Dealing exclusively with authorized dealers, either in person or online, will give you the comfort and security that you’ll pick the right products and be properly guided in the installation process.
What to Consider Before Remodeling your Bathroom with Steam
We posted a great list back in 2013 of 15 tips to consider before installing a home steam shower. We’re repeating it below, because it is just as pertinent today as it was back then!
- When installing a steam shower, ensure that the shower will be enclosed and insulated, constructed of tile, marble or non-porous materials, and equipped with a water-tight shower door and floor drain.
- The ideal steam shower has a maximum ceiling height of eight feet. If you plan a taller space, you may need a higher-rated steam generator.
- Seating should be slightly sloped and built for bather comfort.
- Look for fold-up seats to maximize shower space. If space isn't an issue, look for a bench.
- Add anti-skid strips on the steam room floor to prevent slipping.
- Use only vapor sealed lighting fixtures approved for the application.
- For tile steam showers, consult the information available from the Tile Council of North America, Inc.
- Consider where you will install the steam shower generator. MrSteam generators may be installed in a closet, vanity, or heated attic or basement, up to 60 feet away from the steam room.
- The steam head should be located approximately 6-12 inches above the floor on a wall opposite the seating area, away from the entrance/exit area. Look for steamheads that remain cool to the touch.
- The optimal location of the in-shower control is inside the steam room 4-5 feet above the floor convenient to the bather and away from direct steam flow.
- Plumbing connections include a water line to the generator, a steam line from the generator to the steam room and a drain line.
- Household electric power is required to operate the generator. Specify 208v. or 240v. All in-shower controls operate on low voltage.
- Look for steam generators that are UL listed.
- No heating, venting or air conditioning devices should be installed inside the steam room.
- If your shower or steam room has windows, they will need to be double-paned.
If you decide to move forward with your plans to install a steam shower as part of your remodeling plans, you can rest assured that MrSteam products and our network of dealers and associated professionals will help you make the best choices to realize the steam shower of your dreams!
Let us know if you have any questions about remodeling your bathroom and including steam.